Stage 8 Stage 9 Stage 10
The word as has various meanings. Here are some of the most important ones:
• It can be used to indicate two actions or events occurring at the same time. In this case, its meaning is similar to when or while. E.g. “As I was driving to work, I was listening to music”; or, “As one door closes, another one opens.”
• It can be used to say a reason for something. In this case, it is similar to because. E.g. “As it was raining that morning, we went to the train station in the car to collect Mr. Smith.” or, “As butane is a highly flammable substance, it must be handled very carefully.
• It can be used to express the manner in which something is done. In this case, it is similar to in this way. E.g. “Do as I say, not as I do”; or, “If we had played the match as we had agreed to, we might have won.”
• It can be used in comparisons to refer to the scope or degree of something. In this case it has the meaning of equally. E.g. “Sam is as tall as his brother John.” or, “Madrid is not as large as London”. Note that the word as is repeated with this use.
• It can be used in the construction the same … as. In this case it has a meaning of similar or identical. E.g. “Her car is the same colour as mine” or “Sam’s shirt is not the same size as John’s”.
• It can be used in the construction such … as. This use of such resembles so. E.g. “John is not such a tough guy as he seems to be when you first meet him.” (= John is not so tough a guy as he seems to be …”) or, “Sarah is not such a good tennis player as Michelle.” (= “Sarah is not so good a tennis player as Michelle.”)
• It can be used to give examples. In this case, it is similar to for example. E.g. “I have been to many of the countries in Europe, such as Greece, Spain, Italy, Germany and France.” or “He can play many different genres of music, such as classical, folk, jazz, rock, pop, soul and country.”
Traducción: C. Fernández
Vine a conèixer l'escola i fes una prova de nivell gratuïta
- The present Continuous
- Remember vs Remind
- Much, Many, Few, Little. Què els diferencia?
- Tail Questions: preguntes esclaridores en anglès
- Aprenent a usar el verb en anglès: Should
Recursos per nivells